This is a great process for any site with known issues around keyword density, structure, SEO… To better search rankings, click-through rates, and competitive advantage.
Day 1: Gather and Tape
- Export your sitemap (/sitemap.xml) to a google sheet (this will be used later)
- Use this chrome extension to take full screenshots of every page: https://lnkd.in/efeY-ES
- Add them to a google doc and export as PDF to print
- Tape to a large wall in the conference room.
Day 2: Add Metrics And Analyze
- Add sticky notes with metrics to each page grouping – clicks from search (use Google Webmaster Tools) and conversion rates to your key goals (Google Analytics).
- Look where you can merge pages related to the same content, create #architecture subsections where they may be a long flat area, move subdomains into subdirectories and into the top nav… list out the suggestions.
- Now look at the landing page data in GA against the search impression data from Search Console and see where you are getting LOW impressions but HIGH CR’s. There is an opportunity to structure the site to get more content below those keywords and adjust architecture for higher CR.
Day 3: Create Your Sitemap in Miro (or related mockup app)
- Create a new Miro account and build your new site structure there – use color codes to note redirects etc…
Day 4: Competitor Sitemap Analysis
- Now, export the sitemap of your closest/best competitor.
- And copy/paste those URLs to the Google Sheet you have created for your own sitemap.
- Go through both tabs (your site and your competitors), add a second column for “Priority” and start adding the priority levels (how crucial it is to adjust from 1-10) for each URL found in the sitemap HTML.
- Now, copy those URLs and paste them into this metadata extractor: http://tools.buzzstream.com/meta-tag-extractor
- Export the results from the metadata extractor into a .csv, open it, copy the meta keywords and paste those into the 3rd column in your sheet.
Day 5: Categorization
- Section off the URLs by what service type / feature / audience they are targeting and do the same for your site – match the same category types.
- Now, remove all the main keywords from the export except for the very first one.
[It is good to look at your competitor’s category focus and what sort of weight (a label telling bots which order to index the link) they are giving each page and category. And, you can view how deep/broad they are within each category. This information is used to plan your next steps for which keywords/categories/features to highlight with more site content or a change in your funnel.]
Day 6: Recreate Your Site Structure
- Head to Miro and add all of your pages in the same site structure that exists on the wall (invite your designer or product manager if necessary).
- Go into settings and adjust the predefined names of each color code so you can use the colors to tag old vs new vs redirected pages.
- Start adding new pages and marking the ones you want to remove or redirect.
- Then, create a new site structure with the help of someone who really understands SEO silos and on-page SEO.
To run this in Slack > app.automated.af/
- Create the project – set channel, alerts…
- Copy/paste the task list and dates from this template.
- Setup your sheet (example below for you to copy/paste)
- Head to the channel you assigned this app, and type ‘ /project start ‘ and launch the project.